Sunday, January 7, 2024

A Better Cornbread?

  I make cornbread fairly often but I only make it for myself. I asked Tom once if he just didn't like cornbread. "No," he said, "I just don't like yours". So I've been looking for a recipe that we both like.

 I trust allrecipes.com for many of my favorites so I thought I'd try one of their cornbread recipes. Their Golden Sweet Cornbread seemed to  fit the bill.


 What's different about it? I usually just use the recipe on the box of Kroger Yellow Cornmeal. This new recipe uses 1/4 cup more cornmeal (and 1/4 cup less flour) but I've made that change before on my own. I think the main difference is the amount of sugar. Kroger calls for 1/4 cup; Allrecipes calls for 2/3 cup. The difference is 0.41 cups (0.66-0.25). That extra sweetness makes  all the difference.

 They use substantially more baking soda, too  1.5 teaspoons more. I doubt that substantially affects the taste but it sure makes it rise nicely.

 The only thing I changed was the bake time. They suggest 20 - 25 minutes. Though it tested done at  the  25 minute mark, I could see that it was still too liquid. Plus I wanted the top more brown. I left it in almost 35 minutes.

 And here's how it came out ...


 I made it in an 8 x 8" glass pan where they called for a 9" round. The extra depth may have required the longer baking time.

Just perfect.  We've each had a taste and even Tom said it was "more like Cracker Barrels". So now I know the recipe I'll be using for cornbread in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment