Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pinehaven Apple Dumplings

It's fall and apples are in and we've been to Crossroads Orchard in Miamisburg twice. We bought the tart Johnathans earlier and now we have some beautiful Winesaps left. What dessert would fit the season better than our Pinehaven Apple Dumplings?
Actually, the recipe is pretty generic and is adapted from several Mom's been making over the years. I can remember these even when I was young. I thought they were too good to be true! My mother could make something like this? Of course, now so can I.


So you have some idea what the end result is going to look like, the apple dumpling pictured above was eaten by me earlier this afternoon (sorry folks). But I'll tell you what I'll do as compensation: I'll show you how to make them.



OK, one more look before we dig into the recipe. See that spoonful of apples on the right? Yum!

I should tell you right off that Mom prefers them less sweet and less spicy than Dad and I do. She adds only a sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the mound of apples before they're pinched into the dough. I'm quite a bit more liberal. I want them sweet! So, use the word "scant" if you like but the recipe shown probably is a little lighter than I go on the spices. I want these things to stick to my ribs!

Pinehaven Apple Dumplings

2 cups water
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 - 8 drops red food coloring
1/4 cup margarine (that's 1/2 stick)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup milk
6 small apples (Winesap are great)

Making the syrup:
Mix water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and food coloring.
Cook about 5 minutes, remove from heat, add margarine.

Making the dough:
Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
Cut in shortening with a fork, a little at a time.
Mixture will be crumbly.
Add milk, stir lightly.
On floured pastry cloth roll to a rectangle (about 12" x 18").
Cut into six squares (6 - 6").

Assembly:
On each dough square, place mound of apples.
Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, dot with margarine.
Bring corners of dough up and pinch to seal (they will be irregular).

Baking: (* can be frozen and baked later)
Place in pan (all six will fit in a 13 x 9 x 2" pan) but we bake in two
smaller pans.
Pour syrup over dumplings.
Bake at 375° for 35 - 40 minutes.