Saturday, April 3, 2010

Green Tiger Beetle

Six-spotted Green Tiger Beetle - Cicindela sexguttata - it is called and of such a brilliant iridescent green that it is startling. Mom and I were stepping out the back door on April 1 and Mom motioned for me to look at the insect which she was watching on the porch floor. It was like looking at a molten speck of animated green metal.

I went back into the house and grabbed my camera, set it for macro mode, got down on my hands and knees and took this picture. His entire body is no more than about half an inch long.
My insect book says this guy should not be emerging until summer but the 80 degree spring day probably duplicated those conditions very well.
The bug would literally run from my camera then stop and watch me. He flew a few times, too.
What miracles of nature are such as these! With what amazing shades nature dips her brush!