Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Shelf Cloud

Yesterday's storms were preceded by an impressive - and huge! - shelf cloud that extended from the NE horizon right down to the SW horizon. It looked as though a white-grey lined had been etched across the entire sky.
When I walked out to get the mail just after 10 a.m., this is what I first saw:


I went in and got my camera and began taking a few pictures of the expansive structure. This first shot (above) and the one below were both taken facing roughly NE. I took the first from our side of the road and I walked across to the other side to take this one:

In addition, the first picture was taken at 10:13 a.m. and the second just one minute later.
So, skip ahead to 11:37 a.m. and the actual storms, which formed to the NW, began rumbling into the Miami Valley. This is the view (below) to the SSW as the storms approached.


Even this much later, the shelf cloud is still to be seen though far less prominent. Within a few minutes the rain began to pour and I ran for the house, camera tucked against my chest.
I stood in the garage with the door up so that I could watch the storm unfold. Such lightning! Such thunder! Such torrential rain!
This morning at 8 a.m. I had 1.33" in the rain gauge. In the next two hours I recorded another 0.48". But now (nearly 11 a.m.) the rain seems ended and the sun is breaking through. The corn is watered, though probably a little too much. Sometimes nature provides an excess of a good thing.