Friday, April 8, 2011

A Veggie Pizza

 I enjoy sharing here what I enjoy. And I enjoy good food.
 The other day, my cousin, Doug, knocked on the back door and delivered a vegetarian pizza that his wife, Annette, had made for us. With Mom and Dad ill and housebound, and with myself as sole cook, it is good to see great food arrive. As I told Doug, it is all the more appreciated for not having to cook it myself.
 I was taken by its color:


 This pizza has fresh broccoli, carrots, red peppers and cucumbers atop a bed of creamy dressing. It is built upon crescent rolls. While I do not have this particular recipe, another friend (Judy) gave me the recipe that has been handed down through the years by her family members. It is probably very similar and I will hold it for when I want to make this pretty creation. And so here's that recipe:


Vegetable Pizza

Ingredients:
1 cup Hellmans Mayonnaise (1 - 8 oz. jar)
2 pkgs. softened cream cheese
1 pkg. dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
2 tubes of crescent rolls
Chopped fresh vegetables of your choice (wet vegetables should be blotted with paper towel to remove extra moisture):
Broccoli*
Cauliflower*
Red Pepper*
Onion (green or regular sweet)*
Carrots*
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Fresh mushrooms
Olives

1. Open & unroll crescent rolls onto a cookie sheet to form a rectangle, keeping edges close together. Gently “squish” the seams to form a solid rectangle “crust” without open seams or holes. Bake at 350 until light golden brown, about 11 - 13 minutes - watch closely & don‘t over bake. Remove from oven & set aside to cool. (or put in refrigerator for quick cool while you do the next steps)

2. Mix together in a bowl & set aside:
Mayo, softened cream cheese & dry ranch dressing

3. Chop fresh vegetables and set aside

4. When crescent roll crust is cool spread cream cheese mixture over crust. Sprinkle fresh vegetables over crust and gently push into cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or cheese of your choice. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut in small pizza squares & enjoy!