Tuesday, October 4, 2011

There's a Theme Here

 Those of you who follow this blog probably think I'm fixated on apples. I love them, that's for sure. Last weekend we had apple crisp made with local apples. Today I baked up a batch of our Pinehaven Applesauce Raisin cupcakes. They're the classic dessert which I never tire of, one I enjoy making year-round.


 Over the years I've taken my standard recipe (it's available here) and made slight changes every now and then. I enjoy adding a little ground clove (it was not part of the original recipe Mom made when I was a child), a teaspoon or so of vanilla and a variety of nuts (walnuts are still my favorite but chopped pecans are delicious, too).
 I added dried blueberries and cranberries this time. We generally have cranberries mixed in with our raisins but I've never added blueberries before. And they are delicious!
 As I take the 1/2 cup of raisins (etc.), cover them with water and microwave them for 30 seconds or so), the water which is then drained off and discarded will be inky-purple because of the blueberries. For this reason, the fruit should be added last and mixed gently. You don't want the batter turning blue.
 I made the muffins today because Bob and his friend, Sam, are heading out to Gatlinburg, Tennessee tomorrow for some hiking. Sam's mother always sends spice cookies and I always send muffins.
 This year they'll bite into something a little different.