Thursday, January 2, 2014

First Snow of 2014

 We went to bed expecting snow ... but not this much. Overnight anywhere from a trace to perhaps an inch was expected. By later today, estimates were for two to four inches.
 Mom said she woke about 4 a.m. and turned on the garage light. "There was a little snow on the porch," she said.
 When I got up at 6:40 a.m., there was a full 4" snowfall there.
 I have been noticing the car starting slowly, as though the battery just didn't have much kick on cold mornings. I've had this happen several times in past weeks. It happened again yesterday. Before I crawled out of the bed this morning, I thought of Dad and how he would want me to have this checked out. After I got up, I called Charlie's A-1 Auto Body in Germantown. They gave me an appointment at 9 a.m.
 Of course the snow was deep by then and the roads little traveled. I took the shortcut via Little Twin Road.


 The road appeared to have had a few cars take this route and I drove very slowly in the ruts. The pictures appear out of focus because it was snowing heavily and the windshield was wet and dirty. I shot between swipes of the wiper blades. I didn't pass another car while on this section.


 About half way between Manning Road and Diamond Mill Road, the snow plastered against the tree's south sides. It was quiet and ghostly without a person or animal in sight.


 Now, nearing Diamond Mill Road, I again seemed to be joining civilization. I got to Charlie's about 8:50 a.m. and they took me right away. Yes, my battery tested as failing and I had one low beam headlamp out, too.
 With the snow and with next week's arctic temperatures (-10° is possible, the coldest in years), I wanted to make sure I had a good battery.
 Also, when I got home, I brought in (from the garage) our largest portable kerosene heater and sat it up in the living room. It is full of fuel and ready to light. We have two other (smaller) kerosene heaters already in the house, both also ready to use. If the power should go out, we have heat sources. Plus, I have plenty of wood for the fireplace.


 After I got home (about 10 a.m.) I looked at our south-facing web cam and saved this image. At this point there was a snow accumulation of about 5".


 The security cam on our back porch caught me shoveling another path to the back door.
 The day began at 29°. Now, at 2:30 p.m. the temperature has fallen to 17°. We're supposed to bottom out at 4° tonight. I'll go out one more time - to take out the trash for pick-up in the morning and to get the mail. That's it for me. I'll stay in, then, until the weather improves.


No comments:

Post a Comment