Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Blue-Tailed Skink

 This is a rare reptile for me. In my 30 years here at Pinehaven, I had seen just one. That is, until earlier this month. One day I was mowing out by the road. We have a large rock at the corner of the driveway. As I trimmed around the rock, a Blue-Tailed Skink ran in front of the mower.

 He was fast. It's almost as though he was running with the sky following him. The tail is really that blue.

 In actuality, even though this creature is commonly called a Blue-Tailed Skink, it is not. The true blue-tail lives on Australia's Christmas Island. This is the American Five-Lined Skink ... not so nearly as memorable a name. Only the juvenile stage is commonly labeled Blue-Tail.


 Even more specifically, this is a Plestiodon fasciatus. Read more about this reptile here.

 My earliest view of this creature was many years ago when I was again mowing but near the railroad ties that used to line our driveway (they have since mostly rotted away). I could not believe the blue tail when he rain into the wood.

 So now I've seen one a third time. Yesterday I had finished mowing and was just coming out of the garage. A Blue-Tail was sunning at the edge of our back porch, luxuriating in the warm sun. I approached cautiously - and this time I happened to have my smartphone with me. I took pictures as I got nearer and nearer.


 He certainly was watching me as I approached but he made no move to run. I got closer and closer.


 Clearly reptilian, the animal is cold-blooded and was enjoying the late summer sun. Recent rainy days have left us with chilly nights, into the mid-50's. I suppose the sun was a special treat.


 It is the tail that is most interesting to me. While the body is shades of khaki and olive, lined with muted yellows, the tail becomes suddenly blue. It seems wholly out of place.
 Others tell me these are quite common in Farmersville. Some, conversely, tell me they've never seen one. I feel lucky to have now seen three in my thirty years here. And this time, I was even more fortunate, to be able to take pictures.




11 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both educative and engaging, and
    without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something too few people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy that I came across this in my search for something concerning this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across two of these little guys hanging out on my driveway. First time seeing one in my 50 years living in southern Ohio. The blue tail really piqued my curiosity and I stumbled across your blog while looking up more info on what the heck they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found one in my backyard in wch oh it’s very fast was laying in the backyard on a wood slab soaking up the sun it’s the first I’ve ever seen one it’s a bright blue and man that little thing was fast very fast.! But beautiful

      Delete
  3. I saw my first one today as I was coming out of the garage. I jumped as I thought it was a snake until I saw that beautiful blue tail. I had to google it to see what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Move to Lynx Ohio a year and 8 months ago. Did not even know there was lizards in Ohio until I seen these little guys running around my yard. The Shawnee man down the street said they're getting rare and where around here and his family have lived here for forever. Live at the edge of Appalachia Wildlife Reserve in Adams County. Moving here was the best choice that me and my wife has ever made. The wildlife in the hiking is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Sidney Ohio and have seen 2 by my apartment... Tails are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i got loads in my yard in brown county ohio

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw my first one today and took pictures. I'm in Jacksonville Oregon. That's Southern Oregon by Ashland Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sidney Ohio here. I've heard if a pet was to eat one of these they are poisonous and it would kill them. Seen many I on my property.

    ReplyDelete
  9. South of Wilmington here. One was on the back deck. Too fast for a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found one in Farmersville, Ohio today and googled it, which brought me to your blog. I see you found one in Farmersville also! How cool.

    ReplyDelete