Sunday, April 16, 2017

Tom the Tiller

 I've had enough back and hip problems this year that getting the garden ready for planting season produced a bit of worry for me. I've already worked about a third of the soil by hand, turning it over with a shovel and planting white onions, lettuce and radishes.

 But the large expanse left to till was a concern.

 Enter Bob who offered the use of his tiller. Enter Tom who offered to do the tilling.


 All the orange flags in the foreground indicate where I've already planted. Most of the garden has been untouched but for manure which Jarred applied early in the spring. The clods of straw had to be broken up and incorporated with the soil.


 Tom said he found the little tiller fun to use. It's a small machine, probably better suited for flower beds (as is the way Bob uses it) but Tom worked slowly and went over every inch of the garden twice, again at right angles to the first pass.


 The day was nearly perfect. We had a record high of 82°. The only problem was the wind, gusting between 25 and 32 miles per hour.


 I suppose the time needed to till the garden was well less than an hour. The soil was dry and crumbled easily. I bought six tomato stakes at Home Depot earlier in the day and I'll buy tomato plants in a couple of weeks. Mom wants a Brandywine. I want at least one Roma. Then the garden will be finished.


 Here's a close-up of Bob's tiller. It's a Craftsman 4-Cycle Mini Tiller. The thing used so little gas that I filled it from a small measuring cup.

 So the growing season begins anew at Pinehaven.





5 comments:

  1. Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness on your put up is
    just great and i could think you're a professional on this subject.
    Well along with your permission let me to seize your feed to stay up
    to date with forthcoming post. Thank you a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read this I thought it was really informative. I appreciate you finding
    the time and energy to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount
    of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it
    was still worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. This
    is an extremely smartly written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful information. Thank you
    for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to
    suggest you few interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.

    I wish to read more things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! I just would like to give you a huge thumbs
    up for your excellent information you have here on this post.

    I am coming back to your web site for more
    soon.

    ReplyDelete