Sunday, April 15, 2018

Perseverance

 Many months ago Tom brought an amaryllis bulb here to see if we might get it to bloom. It was been a study in perseverance. First, here's the final success ...

04/11/18

 It almost wasn't meant to be. Back in March I walked onto our enclosed porch and saw that the bulb had unexpectedly - and even suddenly - shot up a bud.

03/08/18 

 In early April I was hurrying down the basement stairs to check the sump pump. The power was out and water was pouring through the basement walls. I must have brushed against the plant and broken the bloom stalk off. I was sick. I cut the stalk cleanly with a knife and brought the bloom in and placed it in a glass of water.
04/03/18 

 04/03/18

 The next day I noticed that the bottom of the stalk had divided into four "curls" - almost like ribbon candy - and the stalk was shortening.

04/04/18 

04/04/18

 Shorter and shorter the stalk "grew". I was told by a friend that I would need to cut the stalk diagonally instead of straight across. That worked. Instead of getting shorter every day, the bud began to develop.

 04/09/18

 And a month after the mishap the bud began to open ...

04/10/18 

 The lock has just about been sprung ...

04/11/18

 And now, almost fully open, the flower has the look of a candy cane ... pinks and red striations against an ivory background. That was one of Tom's goals, to see what color would surprise us.
 On April 15 there are three flowers open. One smaller bud seems not to be maturing and will probably dry up. But for all the damage I probably caused, this flower has made a noble effort to bloom. Perseverance is Mother Nature's middle name and I have her lesson sitting on my kitchen windowsill.





No comments:

Post a Comment