Sunday, May 27, 2018

Memorial Day Cookout

 Tom and I try to have at least one cookout every year. We began this season with a Memorial Day picnic on May 25 ...


 Tom assembled this gas grill a couple of years ago and we've used it ever since. We're still using the first tank of propane (I have two) that Bob gave me. The grill does an excellent job. Tom made a couple of Morningstar Grillers ... veggie burgers. I loved how the outside got a little crispy while the inside stayed tender. You can't do that in a microwave oven.


 We loaded the veggie burgers with onions, pickle relish, sliced tomato. We spread mayonnaise on the bun.


 Ah, corn on the cob. It's early in the season but this bi-color corn we bought at Kroger's (six for $2) was excellent.


 Tom prefers to hold the buttered corn in his hand ...


... while I prefer skewers in the ends.


 Then our traditional watermelon, this one from Aldi's.


 Tom prefers the seeded variety. Even those have fewer and fewer seeds as compared to what I remember as a child. I suppose they're being hybridized and bred out.


 And the day before, while I began the mowing (which Tom finished) Tom made Mom's cheeseball from memory (he couldn't find the recipe). It's pretty simple and yet soft, easily spread and delicious on crackers. It's just Philadelphia cream cheese, a jar of pimento cheese, fresh onions, a dash of Lowrey's seasoned salt and then coated with pecans.

 Tom suggested that I move the grill from the barn to the garage so we can have picnics more often this summer. Good idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment