Monday, April 1, 2019

Bumpty

 Few things offer the warm memory I have of "Bumpty", an antique wooden pinball game my paternal grandparents had. Both my brother and I would play the game when we were at their house. I could hear the trigger in my mind's eye, feel the metal balls scooting across the wooden surface, count the points at the end of every game.

 When my grandmother died, we had the game here for a short while. But we already had one - a cheap, more-modern knock off, that didn't offer the same feel. Mom gave Bumpty to Bob and we kept my grandfather's ceramic pig. Fair is fair.

 But whatever happened to Bumpty? I asked Bob and he said he hadn't seen it in years and had no idea where they had placed it. He knew he had it but that was about it.

 Yesterday I received a text message  from him. It contained just two words: Found it !!!!

 Last evening he and Nancy brought it by. I've played it a number of times since. Today's electronic games have nothing on Bumpty.


 It has a wire stand on the back to hold it at the proper angle.


 You pull back on this plunger and let a single ball go. When all ten balls have been played you count up the points. High score wins, of course. The "blue ball" (first in line in this picture) creates double points for wherever it lands. A "double" between the middle two cups doubles everything.


 Get the blue ball in the double slot and you double-double the total score. This is the gold standard of the game ... and not easily done.

 So when was this made and by whom? This game was my fathers; he was born in 1924. Though I've not found much information about Bumpty on the Internet, it's likely it was made the same time as other similar designs: in the 1930's.

 On the back of the wooden case is this:


 It appears to say "NORTHWESTERN MA . BOX CO . ST LOUIS, MO"
 But I can find nothing about that firm at all.

 Can anyone help?





No comments:

Post a Comment