Thursday, April 4, 2019

Pinehaven Oatmeal Cookies

 It's time to bake something. I'm in the mood for something not quite so sweet this week. How about oatmeal cookies? I dug out Mom's recipes and this one is from 1957. I remember this cookie well. I was just eight years old and Bob was just one.

Mom modified the original recipe many times and penciled notes. I made use of most of her revisions.


Pinehaven Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup margarine
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1-3/4 cups bread flour (regular flour is fine, too)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oats (I used Quick Oats)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts (I used walnuts)

Soften margarine, combine with sugar.
Add everything except flour (which will allow the ingredients to mix well) and nuts
Mix everything thoroughly
Add nuts, then add flour last
I dropped the dough onto a non-stick cookie sheet with a mini ice cream scoop
Bake at 350° for 15 minutes
Makes 45 cookies


 The original recipe calls for this  to make six dozen cookies. Those would be far too small for my liking. That's also why the original  recipe calls for 12-15 minutes baking time.


 I lay cookies out to cool on parchment paper. A cut-up paper sack will work as well.

 This is an excellent oatmeal cookie. You might substitute dates for the raisins and you could use about any nut you desire.

 I've already sampled ... along with a cup of hot, black coffee. Couldn't be better.






No comments:

Post a Comment