Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Panko-breaded Oven-baked Zucchini

 Ah, here we go again: zucchini!

 It's better to be prepared when you plant these things. Is there a more fecund member of the plant world than zukes?

 This year, to save garden space, Tom and I opened a new area just east of the henhouse where we planned to grow just zucchini and watermelon. Let them spread! We had the whole of the meadow ready to accept their creeping vines and elephantine leaves.

 A couple of months ago we planted seeds in peat pots and egg cartons and transplanted them to the new area while still tiny things. But not for long. Soon the plants expanded and began their green colonization. Soon enough I watched the yellow blooms fade to green fingerlings and those tiny fingers expand to adult zuccinni almost overnight.


 June 30 produced this first zuke. I took it to Lois yesterday. "Oh, I'll take all you don't want," she said. Dangerous words, those! And I have Jarred, too, who says he can down a whole zucchini at one sitting.

 Today I found the second ready so I picked it and brought it inside for lunch, I made quick Panko-breaded oven-baked slices which certainly hit the spot.I ate three slices raw as I worked and baked another dozen.

 The recipe is this: combine Panko bread crumbs (maybe a cup) in a bowl with a couple of teaspoons of flour and a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese. I beat two eggs in another bowl for a wash (it actually serves as glue). I dipped each slice in the egg wash then dropped it into the dry ingredients, covering each slice, front and back, with my fingers.


 Any leftover breading should be spooned atop the individual slices (placed on a non-stick cookie sheet). I also drizzled the rest of the egg wash atop each. It makes for a crispy coating.
 I then salted and peppered each slice before baking. Italian seasoning would work well but I opted to keep the recipe as simple as possible. Bake at 450° for about 15 minutes.


 The resulting slices have a delicious crunchy coating atop. The zucchini don't become mushy in 15 minutes but they're clearly done. I had only four slices left for tomorrow's lunch. They'll heat nicely in the microwave oven.

 So, two down ... and surely a hundred to go before first frost.





1 comment:

  1. Hello there, You have done a fantastic job.
    I'll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

    ReplyDelete