Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Snickerdoodle Muffins

 If you were a kid in the 1950's and 1960's, Snickerdoodles were one of the cookies you probably lusted after. My Grandma Schmidt was the first to bake them. But Snickerdoodles actually date to the nineteenth century and they're probably of German origin. There are even Snickerdoodle biscuits.

 I haven't had one in some time so when the recent issue of MyMagazine (Kroger) arrived in the mail, I was intrigued by a recipe for Snickerdoodle Muffins. I made a batch this afternoon. And while I wouldn't call the taste a direct knock-off of the cookie, they really are quite good in their own right.


 Not quite as dark as the ones pictured in MyMagazine, I had already baked the muffins three minutes longer than the longest time noted (or 23 minutes). [Note: Brother Bob finds them too dry. So perhaps this bake time was too long?] They tested done with a toothpick in the center so I took them out of the oven.


 I think they'd be good with a little extra cinnamon sprinkled on the top right before baking. Snickerdoodle cookies are often made that way.


 They're quite light and airy. I used bread flower because that's all I had. Perhaps that caused the longer baking time? I'd also say the brand of sour cream and half-and-half would have an effect, too (I used Kroger brand in both cases).


 They need a little cool-down time before consumption!

Snickerdoodle Muffins
Credit: Kroger Co,

 Click on the recipe posted above for a high-resolution version that can be printed.






No comments:

Post a Comment