Friday, February 17, 2023

Mockingbird Visits

  We much more often hear a mockingbird than see one. But for the past couple of days one has been visiting our suet feeder. Yesterday I wasn't able to get the cameras to focus (it's autofocus-only and it often doesn't work for objects fairly close but which still require a telephoto setting).

 But today I was able to get several  shots.




 He's a slender, gray bird, often described as "Robin-sized - technically Mimus polyglottos - and I always enjoy hearing one while I'm walking. They have a never-ending song that imitates other birds, one after the other, ad infinitum.

 It is certainly not often when I'm treated to a long view and also rare in the winter. And yet his season is coming soon.

Later [02/19/23]:

 While I was working on lunch a mockingbird again visited our suet feeder. Tom says this is not the same bird. I thought the one above was "heavy" and perhaps pregnant? Sexing a mockingbird is not easy. A male is slightly larger but if they're not seen at  the same time, it's difficult making a comparison. And it is said females have darker tail feathers than males.

 Here's a look at today's visitor:








No comments:

Post a Comment