Monday, November 20, 2023

Cinnamon Bread

  I love homemade bread and I suppose I'd choose cinnamon over any variety I make. I start with a basic  white bread (recipe here) and then I add a stipe of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon before rolling it up for the second rise.


 The original recipe made no mention of ginger. I don't add any. If it enhances the yeast fermentation, just "proof" the yeast in the water, milk and sugar, slightly warmed in the microwave.


 Here's the dough when first made. I knead it for eight minutes.


 And after the first rise. Give it an hour in a warm place. I always put the bowl in the oven to which I've  added a little  heat (our kitchen is quite chilly in  the winter). But certainly don't warm it above a gentle  warmth. This will  ensure your rise is effective.


 I then cut the dough in half and roll each half into a rectangular strip. Then I add soft butter (actually margarine) with the back of a spoon and sprinkle light brown sugar and cinnamon atop this. Then I roll it up from the long end and pinch the ends slightly together to avoid any leakage as the loaves bake. I place them in oiled baking pans and let them rise another hour.
 

  And here's how they look after the second rise.


 Finally I bake them per instructions: 30 minutes  at 350°. Just perfect.


 It isn't necessary to dust the tops with flour but I like  the rustic effect.

 The bread is perfectly suited to making cinnamon loaves. They rise beautifully and make a very light, airy bread.







No comments:

Post a Comment