Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cherry Winks

If you haven't guessed it by now, I love dessert! It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's sweet. But there are few cookies I love more than Cherry Winks. I remember these from when I was a kid: a soft, chewy, nutty cookie with a coating of crushed corn flakes and a few prominent pieces of cherry atop.


Today Mom decided to make a recipe. She thinks they turned out "a little hard" but they're sweet ... so I love 'em just the same. In her defense, she was baking cookies and making lunch at the same time. Try that at her age (83) and you'd be hard-pressed to pull everything off to perfection, too.
But we had a great lunch at Pinehaven today - sweet potatoes, dressing and gravy (all vegetarian, of course) and white rice. For dessert, Jell-o (with fruit) and - you guessed it - Cherry Winks and coffee.