Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nothing better ...

 There are some things in life that can't be improved upon. One of them is our Applesauce Raisin cupcakes. On a cold winter's day, the heavenly autumnal scent of apples and cinnamon is intoxicating. I can barely wait to pull them out of the oven.


 How I came to make them today was simple. Mom said she had extra raisins and cranberries which she had cooked (presumably to add to her morning oatmeal). She didn't want to keep them any longer in the refrigerator and thought I might make good use of them,
 Indeed! I can eat Applesauce Raisin cupcakes any day of the year. But a cold and windy day such as this is perfect and  I enjoy having the oven on for the additional heat it provides the back end of the house.
 After all the years of making these, I can pretty well mix up a batch without referring to the recipe.
 Why this is such a perfect combination, I don't know. But apples need cinnamon to be complete and this item brings the two together in a perfect sweet balance.
 Dad has a hard time eating nuts so I arranged three yellow cupcake liners to one end of the pan and added the batter sans nuts to these. Then I poured crumbled walnuts into the rest of the batter and filled the remaining cups.
 Now for the best part: eating.