Monday, February 9, 2015

Nancy's Lemon Cookies

 Last Saturday, Nancy (Bob's wife) sent us some lemon cookies that she just made. Bob admitted they were the second batch she made last week. "I ate the entire first batch," he admitted.

 Well, I've got to tell you, they are excellent. They're almost sweet/tart. First, here's what Nancy's looked like:


 I've always been a sucker for cookies with crackled tops. And the dusting of powdered sugar just makes them perfect. By the way, the cookies on the left are glazed; those on the right are not.
 Here's the recipe (and then some things I learned when I made them):

Nancy's Lemon Cookies

1 package lemon cake mix (18.25 ounce)
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Juice of half a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
Zest of half a lemon (about one teaspoon)
1 cup powdered sugar (for decoration, optional)

Preheat oven to 375°

Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Blend well.
Cover hands with powdered sugar so mix handles better
Form dough into small balls (about one teaspoon) and drop into powdered sugar until lightly covered.
Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 6-9 minutes

For glaze, whisk 3/4 cup powdered sugar with one tablespoon lemon juice
If too thin, use more powdered sugar.
Let sit so glaze can harden.

Makes about two dozen



Getting my supplies ready 

The first batch is made and ready to bake 

The batter isn't as sticky as I expected
(read below why powdered sugar is visible in the batter) 

First dozen is out of the oven - but where's number 12?
(Answer: Mom's eating it in the living room) 

Close-up of what my cookies look like

 How about a few tips to make your life easier?

1. I couldn't find an 18.25 ounce lemon cake mix. I used Duncan Hines at 16.5 ounce. Works fine.
2. I zested half a lemon with a carrot peeler (because we don't have a zester). I cut the too-large pieces with a knife on a folded piece of paper towel. This produced more than a teaspoon but I like this lemony and I like it to have a citrus punch!
3. I didn't bother dusting my hands with powdered sugar. I scooped up dough with a teaspoon and dropped it directly into the powdered sugar, used the spoon to cover the ball and then picked it up with my finger. No stick! That explains why there's powdered sugar in the mixing bow.
4. I made the second batch of cookies a little larger. Both batches required more than 9 minutes. I left the first batch in for 12 minutes (just right). I left the second larger batch in for 15 (too long). Just poke the cookie with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cookies are done.
5. Nancy made cookies both with and without the glaze. I like them best without so I didn't use the glaze recipe at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment