Friday, April 1, 2016

Eastern Bluebird

  I am always happy to see the Eastern Bluebird on our property. They are not rare but seem hard to spot. The angle of view either shows off their royal blue or their feathers appear dark at many angles, and not blue at all.

 While the breast is described as "a warm red-brown", I like to think of it as apricot,

 Of course this is a male. The female is almost brown-gray atop and a more subdued apricot for the breast,


 I took these shots a few days ago, on March 28. I happened to walk by a second floor window and look down upon a maple. This bird was sitting there, looking about. I had plenty of time to get my camera and compose a couple of shots.


 The lighting was a bit difficult, though, as I was shooting into the sunlight and through a couple of panes of glass. Both shots are of the same bird; he merely turned around.

 But what joy to watch him for a few minutes, myself slightly above and he completely unaware of my presence. He seemed just to be enjoying an early spring day. For that matter, so was I.




No comments:

Post a Comment