Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Cinnamon Rolls

 I've been baking both of the past two days. Yesterday I baked a batch of applesauce-cranberry cupcakes. Tom and I are accompanying a 91 year old woman to lunch on Friday and I like having something homemade to give to her. Also I gave Bob some. Tom and I will finish the last.

 But today I planned to make cinnamon rolls. I happened to see an advertisement in a magazine for Fleischmann's Beginners Cinnamon Rolls. The recipe looked fairly easy so I gathered together the ingredients and got started early this morning.

 I've always enjoyed working with dough. I enjoy kneading dough more than any other kitchen activity. I've made plenty of bread through the years and a number of wonderful rolls. But I've never made regular cinnamon rolls.


 The one I tested was an end piece of the roll and deficient in the cinnamon/sugar mix that fills them. But this roll gave me a perfect taste of the dough. It was sweet, fluffy and a piece of heaven.


 The ball of dough turned out to be quite large. The recipe calls for "4-1/2 to 5 cups of flour". I used 4-1/2. I kneaded the dough for 8 - 10 minutes.


 I rolled the dough out into a 15 x 10" rectangle. Well, approximately. I've never been able to get dough into a very accurate rectangle shape. Good enough.


 When you spread on the melted butted and then add the cinnamon/sugar mix, you know you're on track to something great.


 Rolling the dough up, you end up with what roughly looks like a giant burrito.


 Cutting the roll into a dozen equal pieces is a challenge. I have a tremor and can't handle the cut pieces very well. On the positive side, that doesn't affect the taste. And the result is cinnamon rolls that are certainly homemade. It's pretty obvious these didn't come out of a machine.


 After an hour's rise, the rolls popped right up out of the pan, almost like mushrooms. Because they extended over the edge, I placed a cookie sheet beneath the pan to catch dripping cinnamon while they baked.


 And here's the pan out of the oven.


 After the icing is added, they become true cinnamon rolls. Delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment