Sunday, June 17, 2018

Mammatus Clouds Seen

 I've only seen mammatus clouds a handful of times in my life. Last Wednesday I was out watering trees and our garden and watched run-of-the-mill storm clouds approach from the west. These began dropping into the pendulous clouds we call mammatus. They are often associated with severe thunderstorms and even tornadoes.

 I photographed these clouds just after 5 pm on May 13 ...

5:01 pm 

This first shot is looking west from my garden area. I noticed the odd striations to the south. If you look to the right edge of the picture you can see clearing skies approaching. In fact, though I heard thunder all around me, we only received a mere 0.01".

5:01 pm 

 I zoomed in a bit on those that are beginning to drop down into "mammary clouds".

5:15 pm

 Finally, as the formation dropped to my east and southeast I walked into the driveway for a better view. These are more truly mammatus clouds at this stage.

 For more information on these clouds, visit Wikipedia by clicking here.







No comments:

Post a Comment