Sunday, April 10, 2022

Panna cotta (again)

  It's simple and it's good. Those are two important points when considering what dessert to make next.

 I've made it twice: a basic vanilla on 11-13-21 and then a peppermint on 12-11-22. Both are noted in a single blog which you can find here. The recipe I used is linked there as  well.


 I  wish heavy cream could be bought in a 20 ounce container because leftover cream is not something I can readily use (I like my coffee black), I recently picked up a 32 ounce container so the 12 ounces I have left might be a problem. I suppose I could make 60% of a recipe and finish it up that way?


 It's a  simple matter to boil the heavy cream with sugar added. I mixed the gelatin and milk (I just use regular milk, not skim) in a small measuring cup and add it when the cream comes to a boil  The additional minute cooking time is about the quickest anything  can be done on a stove.
 The vanilla is added and stirred in just before the mixture is placed into ramekins.


 I filled four small ramekins and then placed the leftover in two larger dessert bowls.  The other ramekins I have are much  too small to be useful. Who wants to sit down to two bites of something this delicious?

I should note that  the Panna cotta does not set up until it is chilled in the refrigerator. It'll thicken a bit as it cools on the kitchen  shelf but it won't really set until it's been in the refrigerator overnight.

 This isn't a dessert for the calorie conscious. Heavy cream is about 408 calories for 1/2 cup. Since this recipe calls for 2-1/2 cups of heavy cream, that's 2400 calories just for the cream. The skim milk (had I used it) is inconsequential but the sugar adds nearly another 400 calories. So I figure that this entire  recipe is about 2800 calories.

 It's definitely elegant and delicious but not one to have every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment