Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cornbread!

 I'm a sucker for recipes I haven't tried. When I was reading the March/April issue of Yankee Magazine, I found an article entitled "Cornbread Love" by Aimee Seavey. She referenced The Cornbread Gospels by Crescent Dragonwagon.

 Sweet New England Cornbread looked too good to be true. It also looked easy.


 Dragonwagon said of this cornbread: ... "thus does Yankee cornbread quietly offer its own gospel, leaving the preaching and conversation to those who have already partaken of its goodness."


 Here's the batter ready to go into the oven.

Sweet New England Cornbread
Credit: Crescent Dragonwagon - The Cornbread Gospels

1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cup milk

 I've modified the ingredients somewhat: cornmeal for "stone-ground cornmeal"; salt for "kosher or sea salt"; milk for "whole or 2% milk". And though she notes combing ingredients into two separate bowls, I just mixed it all together.

Preheat oven to 425° and grease a 9 x 9" square baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I found that 25 minutes was sufficient but I turned the broiler on high at that point for an additional minute or so to further brown the top.


 Here's the finished product, a beautiful shade of brown. One edge split which is very common and actually and effect I like. It says "homemade".


 I taste-tested one square and it is delicious. It's not as sweet as I would have thought. Mom loves it, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment