Monday, August 30, 2010

Cushaw Pie

 I've heard of the cushaw squash (also called kershaw) a number of times in my life but I've never had the opportunity of trying one. Thanks to Marie Eby, we were given this beauty on August 27.


 Saturday I cut it on a sheet of newspaper in the garage and began scooping the cold "cushaw guts" out with my hands. It reminds me of the days as a child when I cleaned pumpkins for Jack-O-Lanterns. We washed the seed, toasting most of it on a baking sheet after tossing it with olive oil and salt. We saved six seeds for next year's garden. The melon was so large that we baked it on two different days. It seems easier to bake the squash when cut into pieces and placed on a baking sheet. Instead of three hours (at 350 degrees) we were able to bake the melon for just an hour or so (though twice).
The filling, after spicing, is mildly sweet and pumpkin-like and can be used the same way. The recipe we used for Spiced Cushaw Squash Pie is linked here.
The pictured melon produced 10 cups of filling, enough for five pies!


Here is Mom testing the pie to see if it's done. It is! And the aroma is perfect ... the scent of cinnamon and nutmeg predominates.


 And the pie, once it is taken from the oven is almost too much to wait for!


 And here's the finished product. Dad called it "the best pie I've ever eaten" and I'd agree.
 So Thanks, Marie! Your gift has turned into a delightful dessert.