Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Who is Uncle Sol?

 Out of our dusty genealogical material comes a question we cannot answer:
Who is Uncle Sol?


 I believe I have heard the name mentioned before. What long-dead relative said this name to me? My guess is that this is a man who worked on, perhaps, my grandfather's farm when he was a young boy. My own father remembers nothing of this. If the picture was taken in 1914, my grandfather would have been just 16.
Or does this picture have nothing to do with him at all?



 The man's name was what? Soloman Cairles? That doesn't make sense. Can it be Soloman Charles? The picture was taken at the Palace Studio, 34 E. 5th St. in Dayton, Ohio and is placed on a postcard as was often the case.
 This man meant something to someone in my family. His image surfaced among our most precious family photos.



 Here's a close-up of the name. Anyone care to venture a guess?
 The Schmidt family (George and Amelia Schmidt) lived in Alexandria, Ohio (Moraine) near the Dwyer's Mill. I understand that is near where the West Carrollton exit off I-75 is now located.
 This will probably be a mystery given over to time. The answer has likely long faded.