Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mint Chocolate Delights

 Tom's always on the lookout for a bargain. Just after Christmas he arrived with a large bag of goodies, mostly sweets. Among those were a couple of bags of seasonal Nestle Toll House morsels. One was the Dark Chocolate and Mint Morsels variety. Normally $2, Tom got them for $0.99 each.

 Today is a gray, quiet day and I told Mom I thought I'd bake. The morsels have been giving me a "come hither" look for some weeks so I decided this was a good day to use them.

One of the recipes on the back of the bag was for Mint Chocolate Delights. The recipe is available here. I have to tell you right off, the cookies I made look nothing like the ones pictured. What made the difference? Well, I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa (because that's what I already had) and I think my portion scoop makes considerably larger cookies (the recipe calls for 48; I only managed 29).

 While the cookies look different, they're certainly excellent ... extremely chocolate (in the "death by chocolate" category) with a fine scent of mint in every bite.

Mint Chocolate Delights


The completed batter 

 It pays to let the batter sit on the counter for ten minutes or so. It will stiffen up a bit and become less sticky to work with. Better than using a tablespoon to dip this batter out, use a #30 portion scoop. It'll make larger cookies as I've shown. Increase the baking time to as long as 17 minutes, too.

The first pan is portioned out and ready for the oven 

I laid the cookies on our butcher block table to cool

 The Nestle mint morsels are seasonal, of course, so you're not going to find them any time of the year but Christmas. One baker substituted Andes mints.




No comments:

Post a Comment